Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Joining the Potty Party

Really, I've made several attempts to get little Drew to potty in the toilet. Purchased the potty treats and toys, purchased Thomas the Train undies, and even purchased his own little potty. Tried to convince him of how exciting it all was, but no, "Doe wan it!" I figured, well, you can lead a toddler to the toilet, but you can't make him pee (or poop :)

We buy diapers by the box at Costco, a cost of about $30 per box. When Brent realized we had only a handful of diapers remaining, and with the dark cloud of unemployment hanging over our heads, we decided it was time. Same old bribes were met with the same responses. So I had to pull the mom card (which I'm sure I should have done months ago) No underwear? Then no diapers! It was nakey bum all morning.

Somewhere along the way the lightbulb went on and he realized that every time he peed in the toilet, he got candy. And then he was jumping on the toilet 10 times an hour. Success? Only until he feel asleep, and then I had to put the diaper back on. Awake again, didn't want to take the diaper off.

"I want canny"
"Did you potty in the toilet?"
"Doe want to"
"Then no candy"
"I want canny"
"You need to potty in the toilet"
"No!"
"OK, then no candy."
*Pause *
"OK...FINE! I want canny", as he rips the diaper off in reluctant defeat.
Now if I can just get him to poop in the toilet, I'll really be doing the happy dance.

No comments: