Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Routinely Exceptional

As I have once confessed, I'm just not a routine person. However, I do my best to establish some semblance of routine as to minimize the damage I do to my children. I like the school year because the imposed schedule tends to help me with my personality deficiency, making it a little easier to get into a routine. EXCEPT for this year. There are so many EXCEPTIONS to the routine that it is enabling my dysfunctional non-routine behavior. On weekday mornings Megan leaves for the bus at 6:45. Matthew's ride usually picks him up about 8:30, at which time Jeremy goes next door to catch his ride. Jeremy's kindergarten ends at 11:35 and is brought home shortly thereafter. Megan bus drops her off at 2:45, and at 3:10, I pick up Matthew and the neighbors from school. UNLESS it's Wednesday, which means early out for the elementary school kids. Everybody leaves at the same times, but Jeremy gets out of kindergarten at 10:35 and Matthew gets out at 1:05. So that's our schedule, UNLESS it's late start Monday that occurs once a month. On these days, Megan's bus comes an hour later, and the boys start school at 10:00, which means I drive because my neighbor is unable to do so because of her work schedule. They all get out at the normal times EXCEPT for Jeremy who gets out at 12:20 and is brought home by his carpool. UNLESS it's the third week, then I do the picking up.
I ALMOST don't even have to look at the school handbook anymore to know what time to send my kids out the door, or get in the car to pick them up, or not go anywhere because they will be home soon. Maybe that makes me routinely exceptional!

3 comments:

The Ririe's said...

Well that was confusing!!! Good luck with that 'schedule'!

{sheree} said...

Wow! That's impressive. I can't imagine trying to keep up with that schedule.

Dancewear By Heather said...

sounds like insanity if you ask me!