Sunday, July 6, 2008

One Step Ahead

Headcount. It's a constant headcount when we get brave enough to venture out into the world with our little clan. It's usually Andrew who disappears. He moves so quick, you'd think he teleported. We are constantly having to stay one step ahead of this little guy. All too often lately, he's been too many steps ahead of us.

Fireworks. On the 3rd we went to the Eaglewood golf course in Bountiful to watch the fireworks show. While I was taking Matthew to the bathroom, Brent was keeping the others in check while assembling glow bracelets. He looked up to put one on Andrew and.... POOF! He was GONE! After a futile search, Brent finally called me to tell me he couldn't find Andrew. Fear struck me as I thought of the nearby pond and the busy street a few yards behind us. I hurried back to stay with the others so Brent could search with full effort. As the fireworks began, we stepped aside to a nearby tree and offered a prayer for help and guidance. What I hoped would be an enjoyable evening with the family was turning into my worst nightmare. Ultimately Brent thought to call 9-1-1 and was connected to the local police patrolling the event, who confirmed they did have Andrew at their command center. Brent retrieved Andrew, no worse for the wear and completely oblivious to the scare he had caused us.

Swimming. It's constant vigilance. Over the weekend we took our whole family to the community pool. Andrew L-O-V-E-S the kiddy pool. It's constant splashes and running jumps. I had been hanging out with Drew when Brent came over to relieve me of kiddy watch so I could get in the big pool with the big kids. I was gingerly getting in, acclimating to the water temperature when suddenly there was a blur and a big splash. Andrew had taken a flying leap in, expecting I'm sure to safely land on the bottom. Except there was no bottom. Thankfully I was there to retrieve his fast sinking little body.

Church. Today at church I was out in the foyer with Andrew during sacrament meeting. Nothing unusual. He jumped out of my lap and headed for the door. I stood up, hoping he would stay there long enough for the deacon to bring out the sacrament. My eyes on Andrew, the deacon tapped me on the shoulder. As quickly as I took the sacrament, Andrew was out the second door and heading for the parking lot. I chased after him (in high heels, of course!) grateful it was a quiet time for parking lot activity. But then he kept running and I couldn't catch up to him fast enough. Headed for the street, he kept going until he was at the curb. He stopped momentarily, ready at any second to leap right in front of the car that was now coming. Thankfully he responded to my shout of STOP! and I was able to catch up to him before he ran out in front of the car.

I asked Brent if he thought Heavenly Father gives us a few extra angels to keep up with our kids. Just in case, I've decided I need to pray and make sure we have added protection. I just can't seem to stay one step ahead.

3 comments:

The Ririe's said...

Those stories made me laugh, although I am sure you didn't think they were very funny! Keeping up with him sounds like good exercise...Carter used to give me that kind of exercise!

The Ririe's said...

The story about losing him up at Eagle Mountain didn't make me laugh...that would totally freak me out!

Dancewear By Heather said...

Just remember... This too will pass! :) Thank goodness the toddler years don't last forever! And thank goodness we do have someone watching over us!