Thursday, July 24, 2008

Thankful Thursday - Two hours with Jeremy

I told Angela last week in a comment that I've been feeling very grumpy lately and needed to start posting thankful Thursday. I'm still feeling grumpy but forcing myself to count my blessings. At least today's a Utah holiday, so I'm also thankful to have Brent home today, and an added bonus, tomorrow as well. Yay-a four day weekend.
Yesterday I had to run errands in town. I'm also thankful Megan is old enough to tend the boys so I can run errands more efficiently. I always take Natalie, but she was sleeping, so I decided to take Jeremy. It's been a long time since I've had completely uninterrupted one-on-one time with Jeremy. He was so patient at each stop as I took care of family business matters. His silliness brightened the dullness of waiting for our turn. His "race you to the car, Mom" after each stop just made me laugh. There was so much of his personality I saw that doesn't readily surface among a household of siblings.
I started this post this morning and was interrupted by waking children. At days end I reflect on another day of "I don't want to's" and tears from not wanting to share and not being shared with. We're definitely at a stage where one-on-one time with our kids is more of a scheduled effort than a natural occurrence. I'm thankful for the two hours alone with Jers that just sort of happened to remind me of the truly fun, sweet, and thoughtful child he is.

2 comments:

The Ririe's said...

Isn't it amazing what that one-on-one time can do...and I only have two kids! I need to be better at the dates with the kids so that they get more of that from both me and Alan! Jeremy is so funny...don't you wish you could have that kind of energy to 'race' everywhere!

Dancewear By Heather said...

Janice I love what you have done to your blog since I've been gone! What a perfect picture you found for your new focus. Being gone from my kids for 10 days has made my heart grow fonder too. It is amazing what a difference in our busy lives, just stopping and thinking about what we love (and miss) about each of our children does to make life so full of meaning and joy!