Tuesday, July 29, 2008

The Spirit of Elijah

Megan had the opportunity to attend the temple for the first time to perform baptsims for the dead. I had the opportunity to accompany her. I was able to find the name of my great, great grandmother for Megan to stand as proxy. I have found in my research that the ordinances for some of my ancestors have already been performed. I don't know the source. When I reviewed the pedigree chart, I realized that this sweet woman, Mollie C. Gibson was still waiting while everyone around her has had their ordinances completed.
Truly, I did not expect to have the experience I did in the temple today. As I watched Megan descend into the waters of baptism, to accomplish for her great, great, great grandmother what she could not do for herself, I felt such an overwhelming sense of joy. I just don't have the words to describe all I felt and experienced in the temple this day. How privileged we are to be a part of this great and marvelous work! "Behold, I will reveal unto you the Priesthood, by the hand of Elijah the prophet, before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the Lord. And he shall plant in the hearts of the children the promises made to the fathers, and the hearts of the children shall turn to thier fathers." (Doctrine and Covenants 2:1-2)




1 comment:

The Ririe's said...

That is so cool that she go to go to the temple and even cooler that you got to go with her. I can't wait to do that with my kids; however, we are still working on getting to 8 to be baptized...Carter can't wait for that!