With the realization that Megan will be catching the bus at 6:45 a.m. every morning :( , and that her opportunity to complete morning chores will be pretty much annihilated, I decided to graduate Jeremy to unloading the dishwasher. I took a very child psychological approach. "Jeremy," I said, "since you are a big boy now, and will going to school with Matt soon, I think you should take over Megan's job of unloading the dishwasher. Jeremy's response?
Day 1: Yeah! I'm a big boy now and I'm going to go to Matt's school! (Johnny on the spot, unloads the dishwasher in 3 minutes flat.)
I thought I was such a genius until the next day that I requested he do his new job.
Day 2: Mom, unloading the dishwasher is boring. Why do I have to do this boring job all day? (With a little coaxing and prodding, completes job in a little longer than 3 minutes.)
Lighting the way
Last night while cleaning up from dinner, I asked Jeremy to turn out "all these lights". I meant to not have so many of them on, but of course, he took me literally. He logically responded that if we turned out all the lights, then we couldn't see. And then came the solution: "Oh, I know, Mom." He proceeded to turn out all the lights, as requested, and retrieved his flashlight. "Here Mom, I'll light the way for you."
Those words resonated so deeply, I couldn't help but willingly clean up the kitchen, illuminated only by the arbitrary motion of Jeremy's flashlight.
Progress?
Jeremy woke up about the time that most of us were ready for church. I had pre-selected a polo shirt and some slacks for him to wear. He wanted to wear his new tie. Who would have thought? No arguments or protests, just the new tie. He chose his black socks and black shoes to complete the ensemble. I just listened to the little voice inside my head, "pick your battles, pick your battles......who cares if he doesn't match ?!"
Given the week I had with Jeremy, how hilarious to see him come from Primary with this sign around his neck. (Where's the tie?)
3 comments:
Talia was excited to see this picture of Jeremy because she came home with the same necklace yesterday! =)
Ok, that kid cracks me up. I can't help but chuckle every time you write about Jeremy...
that is so funny I can't stand it!
Post a Comment