Friday, August 8, 2008

Thankful Thursday - Reminders

Matthew had the rotten luck of having both of his best friends go on vacation in the same week. I decided he could use a dose of one-on-one time after such a boring week. So McDonald's it was. At first, I felt a little lost sitting there with only one child who could feed himself independently. In the quietness, I found out that he's only sort of excited to start a new school year. He's not looking forward to having homework again (neither am I). And that's about all I got out of him before he was off to play.
So I sat there. I was bored. And then my mind wandered back to last week when I had asked Brent for a blessing. It was most unique in that he named each of our children individually and addressed a particular need that I should be conscious of meeting. It made me think of how truly unique each of my children are in their personalities, interests, needs, love languages...just everything. For a moment I was disappointed, thinking this "special" time wasn't as fun as I had hoped. I then realized, for Matthew, tonight was like having three wishes granted:
  1. Are we going to eat inside or out? (meaning go through the drive-thru)
    What would you like? Inside! OK.
  2. Can I get an M&M shake? Yes.
  3. Can we go to the drive-in movie? Sure, why not?

Our Father in Heaven knows each of us perfectly as an individual. I am thankful for the reminder to know, and enjoy each of my children individually.

No comments: